Monday, May 29, 2017

Less progress than hoped for in back plot

I was feeling reasonably good about the back plot after planting three digitalis grandiflora (large yellow foxglove) yesterday and transplanting some of the wandering forget-me-nots to the other side of the topiary, and some of the sprouting lungwort offspring to the far side of the plot. But then I looked at the vision sketch, and where I started last winter, and where I was around this time last year, and I must say it's disappointing. On the whole I just want it to be bursting with life, and it's clearly not, even if the forget-me-nots and lungwort are gangbusters and the begonias are doing fine. There just needs to be more stuff, and taller. If the foxgloves make it, they'll help with that.


Early March, 2016. The starting point.

May 19, 2016

May 28, 2017

On the plus side: luscious lungwort.

And this person isn't disappointed. She drew chalk pictures of flowers, sun, and rain.


In the front, you see the self-seeded lungwort that I transplanted. Behind them left is a foxglove. Behind that, aster (I just don't even know what to make of that), and the stringy things behind are the alliums that DIDN'T flower. In the picture below, you see the two transplanted forget-me-nots.

Just one of the poppies in front bloomed, and it's awfully short, but still beautiful!





This little dude(tte) was just hanging out in the middle of our basement, blind and just-born groggy. 
Did I nestle him/her into a soft bed, give him/her a name, and lovingly feed him/her milk from an eyedropper? Hells no. I put it outside and fervently hoped a fox or bird of prey would eat it. Speaking of which....
This was circling the neighborhood on May 24. I think it is a turkey vulture.

No comments:

Post a Comment