Friday, June 23, 2017

Garden happenings

Some time ago I pulled up a straggling piece with roots of one of the mystery shrubs in front with red blooms, and stuck it in this pot. For a long time, it looked to be dead. But now it seems fine. Maybe next year I'll stick some other red plants in there with it, though that pot is a magnet for the squirrels. Also: I did some research and think the mystery shrubs are crepe myrtles.
Crazy story: I was actually trying to identify some of the plants in front, and thinking dark thoughts about Birch Hill Landscaping since they hadn't replaced the missing anenome after I alerted them on May 9, when I heard a noise: they were out replacing the plant. And they helped me identify some of the ones I didn't know (purple coneflower, catmint).

The Carolina Wren was back yesterday and I got a characteristically excellent photo of it.




























Here we have the state of play in the back plot: I have had a crazy misunderstanding that this Allium Ampeloprasum was going to bloom in the spring with the Allium Globemaster, but guess what? Mixed reports on the internet suggest it may (or may not be right on schedule). I am gobsmacked. And pleased!

The one foxglove is blooming nicely and the other plants look healthy but no sign of blooms.

Coming up to the front door. Basil is thriving. Portulaca doing well. I trimmed the vibernums the other day.

Catmint



Hydrangea has started to bloom 
Salvia and lavender

The darned parsely looks scarcely better than when I planted the little seedlings. Not a good spot for them, I guess.

Purple coneflower, one thinks. This is the one that had a bloom eaten off it a week or so ago. I have been spraying it with anti-deer spray.

Shasta daisy. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment