Sunday, April 7, 2019

Garden happenings

Today was so lovely - close to 70 degrees, and mostly sunny. I dealt with the long-neglected compost, and did a lot of pruning. And then I just took a close look at everything and when you look hard enough, you see a lot of signs of life! It gave me a very glowy happy feeling. This is why I love gardening.

This was yesterday

I am crossing my fingers that these foreground plants might be self-sown larkspurs. Or they're weeds. We'll see!

These new alliums are looking great. I am looking back at a photo from Sep. 14 last year, and I am hopeful that what's sprouting anew between them is a transplanted foxglove from the backyard.

These are the alliums transplanted from the back garden - they are looking splendid and already sending up buds!

Daffodils are starting to bloom; geraniums are starting to leaf out. Looking back at a photo from last year, I am surprised and sad to see that a lot of daffodils didn't come back.

I think I planted these daffodils new last fall. I think.

Oh, the magnolia! It is so very splendid, just starting to bloom.

What mystery plant are you, in the foreground?

While my other peony is going gangbusters (see below), I was looking in vain for signs that this one on the right side would come back, and finally there is a shoot! It did not do well last year and I'm not getting my hopes up this year, but at least it's coming back.

Gangbusters peony

Perennial tulips in their second year

The poppies look very promising, and with any luck, the tiny seedlings between them will be self-sown larkspurs 

Wider-view shot of the poppies, also Shasta daisies in foreground (and a onesie daffodil I am always meaning to transplant). And baptisia in background, not yet looking alive.

I am not positive, but I am thinking here that one of last year's allium is not coming up in the front right, and the other one has made itself into two plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment