Monday, November 6, 2017

Fall plantings completed, and my promiscuous locust tree

On Friday I stuck the last of the bulbs into the ground. A few weeks earlier I had planted my new hydrangea and peony, too, and while the squirrels targeted the site of the former, I am hopeful the root remains in the ground, ready for spring.

We haven't had a frost yet and the darned grass keeps growing, so I keep raking and mowing.

Unfortunately one of my allium bulbs was moldy. I should have looked at it as soon as it arrived a few weeks prior, but did not. I have asked White Farms whether a replacement is nonetheless possible. Anyway I planted the sad on lowest on the hill, for my future reference.

This shows where the allium bulbs went - in between these three salvia plants

To either side of the geraniums on one side of the sidewalk is where 12 of the daffodils went
And between and above the geraniums on the other side of the sidewalk went another 12
I was delighted to see that all 3 poppies (foreground) got leaves again after dying back in the hot summer! Can't wait to see how well they return next year.
Front yard


There is an interesting story about this tree, which I think is a honey locust breed without thorns. In my garden, close to the driveway, it appeared to have spawned a child. So I went to dig it up, and when I did so, I saw that there were several separate stems, so I assumed several seeds had sprouted.
Wrong! What I found was a big old root, presumably all the way from the mother tree, and four mini-trees had sprouted from it.
So I stuck the root in a vice and sawed all the sprouts apart, then stuck three of them in dirt in pots, and the fourth (below) in water. I thought, they may well die, but let's see if they grow roots.




A few days later, the one in water is on the verge of death. So I cut off the main root and will see whether the sprout alone forms roots. And probably the ones in the pots will die. Eh, whatevs.


Unrelatedly, my little baby peony in the back has done just fine so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment