Sunday, November 1, 2015

More bulbs

Planting bulbs has been harder work than I anticipated, because I am battling rocks and roots and finding things like shards of glass in the soil.

Today I wanted to put the tulip bulbs in the front, close the the garage, where I think the deer are least likely to go. I was digging and in addition to a crazy number of rocks, there were enormous chunks of concrete down there, clearly having been used as filler by the guys who worked on the garage. Removing them took a lot of effort, but I did it, and stuck the bulbs in as deep as I could (probably about a foot), having read that planting them deep (ideally about 20") increases their chances of coming up multiple years in a row. I had always thought of tulips as perennials and was surprised to read recently that a lot of them only come up once, then die due to suffering from too much moisture or other bad conditions. And indeed, that has happened to me; but I thought it was just my bad luck.

This is where the tulips went


I still have a lot of bulbs left to plant! My arms ache at the prospect, but the weather is supposed to be lovely this week and I don't have too much work on my plate, so I'll get it done.

A bee found my plot of the property (still in progress) a nice resting spot. It was sluggish and I blew it off the paper and into the chrysanthemum.



After planting, Emma and I went in back to look for fairies.


No comments:

Post a Comment