Friday, October 23, 2015

Fall

'Tis fall. I have read that this is a "mast year" for oak trees, which explains why there are MILLIONS of acorns in our yard. I really should google whether there are any practical uses for acorns.



The leaves are starting to change color in our yard, and increasingly falling, though it hasn't gotten out of hand yet. I bought 30 lawn-and-leaf bags to be ready!

As our mowing people finished their work in September, I also secretly bought a reel mower, and have now mowed two sections of the back lawn after painstakingly removing the acorns. I just kind of hate getting our lawn mowed. I hate the loud mower and I hate, hate, hate their leaf blowers. There was a heated debate on our neighborhood listserv about leaf blowers. I stayed out of it.

My trusty 1947-copyright edition of Peterson's "A Field Guide to the Birds" has two plates on "Confusing Fall Warblers," and I have come to think of that as its own species, as in "Hey look, it's a Confusing Fall Warbler!" since I guess I have been seeing some of them. But I managed to identify one from yesterday: I am pretty confident it is a Myrtle Warbler, although these pictures are pathetic:






The pine tree behind the driveway has a lot of needles turning yellow and dropping, and I looked this up and apparently it is normal in the fall. It is likely a white pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment